Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A God sent when I was feeling discouraged

We are thankful that Maddie could get her first prosthetic, but haven't been quite sure if there might be something better for her situation. As I was crying and a bit emotional this morning, I was talking to my mom on the phone telling her my concerns about the prosthetic. It seems heavy, bulky, and I have mixed emotions about it. And the fact that Maddie starts to cry now when I put it on her, SO not worth it! It shouldn't be this uncomfortable, and I will not put her through that.

So after I got off the phone, my mom ended up talking to this women, Linda Bean, in Houston TX who specializes in pediatric prosthesis. She found her on the internet. They are so much lighter in weight, not so bulky, they match your babies skin color, and are also myoelectric, which is amazing! Light weight, under a pound, and they can actually learn to open and close the hand in 2 days. WOW! I feel so much more encouraged than I have felt and that was such a God sent. They are based in Houston and make the prosthetic in one day, which is truly amazing. I have been researching their website for a few hours reading and watching the videos. So we continue to research what else is out there, and pray that Maddie will one day be able to make use of her left arm on her own. We wouldn't be eligible for another one for 6-8 months, but this gives us time to pray and research, and talk to other Mom's who have taken their babies there. I just wanted to keep you updated on the process and tell you where we are at...

The stories Linda was telling me where truly inspiring. What a rewarding job. I also have a couple of Mom's to call who have children with prosthetics from this facility.

If you think of us, please continue to pray for the Lord to guide this situation and that we would seek him in our decision making. I feel much more hopeful than I did this morning. Thanks again for keeping up with Madeline. It means a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment